WHAT NOW?: A LETTER TO TUMBLR

Saturday, April 04, 2015



Five years. From 2009 to 2013, Tumblr had been a good form of entertainment, addiction, and avenue for various types of learnings and discoveries, as well as opportunities for expression and growth. Curiosity made me join the then comparatively small bandwagon, but it was the fun and new-found love for it that made me stay.


I think I had started as a ‘repost blog’ (somewhat illegally so), since I didn’t know what ‘reblog’ meant before (I was afraid it would delete my account or was a button I should just steer clear from haha). I just kept posting pictures that I liked from wherever on the internet (without credits!) and started to notice how mine had fewer to zero ‘notes’. And that’s when I discovered the use of the reblog button. Wow, just wow, I know. Then my ‘repost blog’ instantly became a ‘reblog blog’ since there was no helping my hands that were quick to reblog funny/cute posts.

I remember my first theme being one of the works of Peter Vidani, the one you can change theme colors directly, when your page is already up and running. Then I started to look for other themes with cute little graphics all over them and started installing background music for my site, which I admit, I had a hard time figuring out how, haha.

This “life” of mine continued for almost a year, merely just hopping from one theme to another, changing my URL from time to time, and reblogging to my heart’s content. (I would like to take this moment to say that I’m typing this now as a word document and I’m surprised how ‘reblog’ isn’t accepted as a grammatically correct word yet after all these years.)

Until I stumbled upon Filipino personal blogs…

It changed the game for me. Suddenly I wanted to share. I wanted to take my hobby of writing in here as well. I wanted to post content that’s originally and purely mine. I wanted to make real friends and receive real messages from real people, not just from tumblrbot. Moreover, I wanted my site to reflect me, and I wanted it to be mine. I wanted a blog.

So I spent hours and days observing other blogs, reading their content, and looking into their themes to you know, have some footing and a bit idea atleast. The patient theme-searching followed, nonstop life-and-experiences sharing, and the eagerness to continue improving just burned. I didn’t stop there. I started to look into the codes (something I’ve NEVER done prior) and with max patience I could give, started learning and understanding them. Big thanks to those themes with organized and fairly understandable codes! Heck, I didn’t even know what a sidebar was! But after many months I could tweak free themes on my own however I wanted and friends even hired me for the job.

I made friends from all over the world, and some even stayed till today, even if our ONLY form of communication is virtual and internet-dependent. Through sharing my own thoughts and experiences, I ‘met’ people who had been there, or had been going through something similar, and people who are quick to console, trying to send some love through their computer screens from the other side of the globe. Of course, the haters. Oh well not much to say about them than “Hi, I hope you’re doing fine.” J

Five years and I’m not famous, nor have I made a living. But for five years I have learned so much and experienced so many ‘firsts’ and memories I shall always hold dear. Tumblr, I am happy to have all these starting experiences with you. You gave me ideas, footing, learnings and memories I don’t think I’ll ever forget. To the friends I made, thank you, for letting me know I’m not alone, and that one way or another we have the same struggles. To my readers, thank you, for hanging on to every word, and for following me when I hop from one blog to another. To the blogs I discovered, oh my gosh thank you! For the knowledge and life hacks, and for bits of sanity you inject when needed.

I’m moving platforms now. And I know this isn’t some really big deal because I am just another blogger but still, I felt it just. It had been quite a ride. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. I will disclose my new blog once I have some content in it. J

Again, thank you. It had been so much. ♥

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Tumblr was my blog platform since 2008 aka Tumblarity days. I've deleted my blog because it's far too embarassing to keep it until now but I have kept in touch with the friends I've made there through FB and Instagram.

    P.S. I love your blog header!

    www.intransitph.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to find someone with similar feels and experience! Hi Kristel, thanks! :) I visited your blog and wow, I think I'll revisit often! :)

      Delete

Subscribe